The Desperation of Michelet

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Australia? I don't know who she is anymore.

This is what I wrote last night when I heard the election result. Margo Kingston expresses what I feel exactly, in much better words than I could muster.

"The punch in the face Australians delivered to Latham tonight would be hard for any person, no matter how tough, to cope with. Latham sold himself and his life journey, and the people not only didn't buy, but gave him no encouragement to keep trying."

Perhaps our country will be richer as a result. Perhaps we will be more secure. What we need to ask ourselves is whether this is the ultimate goal, the ultimate "good", the founding principle. People don't understand why last night's election result came close to making me cry.

We live in a democracy and as such, I must accept the decision of my country. But when I see my country support the death of its own principles, the massacre of its integrity, and the decay of its dignity, how can I not weep for our future. God gave His people free will, and He is every day grieved by their choice to sin. Australia has been given a democratic government, and it grieves me that we choose the ultimate power of the economy over basic issues of humanity, independence, and freedom.

"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too" William Somerset Maugham


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home